Wedding Planning Guide
One year before Wedding
- Buy a wedding planner and memory album.
- Decide who will pay for what.
- Discuss all aspects of the wedding with your families.
- Send engagement announcements to newspapers.
- Make lists of various ceremony and reception sites. Go to view them as soon as possible.
- Begin looking at caterers and ask for estimates from those your are considering.
- Begin looking at bakers for your wedding cake and ask for estimates.
- Discuss honeymoon plans. Make a final decision as soon as possible. Booking months
in advance will save you money.
- Plan your post-wedding living arrangements.
At Least 6 Months Before Wedding
- Select and order a wedding gown.
- Reserve hotel rooms for your guests traveling from out of town.
- Choose bridesmaids and groomsmen and order their gowns and tuxedos.
- Order wedding invitations and "thank you" cards.
- Make you final catering and reception choices and book them as soon as possible.
- Make your honeymoon plans. Contact a travel agent to make reservations.
At Least 4 Months Before Wedding
- Finalize your post-wedding living arrangements.
- If traveling outside the country for your honeymoon, apply for your passports.
- Book a limousine for transportation.
- Get estimates for floral arrangements for the ceremony and reception.
- Plan your rehearsal dinner.
- Reserve a Disc Jockey/ M.C. for your reception.
At Least 3 Months Before Wedding
- Mail your wedding invitations.
- Make sure all pertinent documents are completed and sent in.
- Complete your guest list.
- Book florist.
- Choose and purchase decorations and favors for your reception.
- Choose wedding rings and select engravings.
At Least 2 Months Before Wedding
- Consult with all companies who are providing services for your wedding. Make arrangements
to purchase these.
- Buy a gift for your spouse and gifts for your members of the wedding party.
- Make an appointment with a hairdresser for the bride and bridesmaids.
- Send out shower gift "thank you" cards.
At Least 1 Month Before Wedding
- Finalize choices for all bridal gown accessories.
- Have final fitting for bridal gown & headpiece, as well as the bridesmaids dresses.
- Schedule bridesmaid's lunch and give them their gifts.
- Confirm hotel reservations for all guests and for you and your spouse.
- Get marriage license.
- Finalize plans for your rehearsal dinner.
- Stay current with "thank you" cards for shower gifts and some early wedding presents.
- Finalize seating arrangements for the reception.
- Send invitations to those who will be attending the rehearsal dinner.
At Least 2 Weeks Before
- Confirm all honeymoon arrangements.
- Wear your wedding shoes around the house.
- Confirm all plans and details with all vendors providing services for your wedding.
At Least 1 Week Before
- Review wedding ceremony details and procedures with your wedding party.
- Pick out the clothes you'll wear after you leave the reception.
- Assign a trusted person to solve all last minute problems and details. Rely on this
person to help you as you get closer to the final day.
- Plan a fun day shared with family or friends.
- Give a final head count, seating arrangements, and place cards to the caterer.
- Pack for your honeymoon.
The Day Before
- Mail the wedding announcements.
- Place the fees for the limousine driver and the officiant into sealed envelopes.
Give these to the Best Man to be handed out by him on the wedding day.
- Give wedding rings to the Best Man.
- Attend your rehearsal and dinner.
- Rest properly and sleep well.
Your Wedding Day
- Relax and enjoy your special day with your family and friends.